FireEye recommends wiping hard drives before you ship them to another location or return them to FireEye.The appliance owner is responsible for wiping the drives in accordance with their corporate policies or preferred best practice. FireEye can not guarantee the security of any data remaining on hard drives returned to us.
Hard drives from FireEye Appliances
To wipe and/or return drives from FireEye Appliances, use the method that best complies your corporate policy or preferred best practice:
- Use the RAID controller to low-level format the drives.
Caution: This is not a recommended or secure method.
- Remove the drives from the FireEye appliance and use an external method to securely wipe them. Your external
method must accommodate SAS disks mounted in drive caddies.
- Keep the drives and dispose of them by your preferred method. You will incur the full cost for the replacement drive.
Legacy MIR controllers
For legacy Mandiant MIR controllers, you can use the third-party software DBAN as an alternative to wipe the drive.
- Create a bootable DBAN CD. Instructions for creating a DBAN CD are in the Readme.txt file included in the DBAN download.
- Place the DBAN CD into the MIR appliance CD drive and reboot the machine.
- Use the console to access the DBAN menu for starting and monitoring the wiping process.
- FireEye recommends using the autonuke option.
Note: FireEye appliances do not have CD drives, so you cannot use DBAN to wipe them.